What do you get when you take a fabulous vegetable like haricots verts and add bacon and pepitas? A wonderful, crunchy, filling side dish or a great lunch.
So you start with the best bacon, of course. This is Whole Food’s smoked Black Forest bacon – it has a really great, deep bacony flavor.
Then you add pepitas for a nutty, rich flavor. Haven’t heard of them? I get them at Trader Joe’s, and they’re just shelled pumpkin seeds.
- 4 slices bacon, sliced
- ¼ cup Pepitas, or nuts like pistachios or walnuts
- 12 ounce Haricots Vert, or green beans
- Salt to taste
- Slice the bacon into ¼ inch-ish pieces.
- In a large pan, fry over medium heat until bacon begins to get crispy.
- Add the pepitas and mix together thoroughly.
- Add beans, and mix everything together.
- Cover and cook until tender. Stirring every couple of minutes, they should be done in about 5 minutes depending on how crunchy you like them.
- Add salt to taste, and serve right away before they get mushy.
I also love this with broccoli, asparagus, and cauliflower, and it is currently my favorite way to have vegetables at dinner – what do you think?