I love reading Mark’s Daily Apple for low-carb recipe ideas, and when I saw his Noatmeal I knew I had a winner to replace Craig’s weekend oatmeal breakfast. I’ve never liked oatmeal (too slimy and slippery) but I really enjoy this nutty and rich breakfast once a week.
Look at these deliciously crunchy nut bits…
And they smell so good when you’re toasting them up.
Whisk the wet ingredients until they’re smooth.
This next step is also known as the “don’t accidentally make an omelet” step!
Do you make something like this too? I know there are lots of variations out there – I’d love to hear what yours is.
- ¼ cup walnuts
- ¼ cup pecans
- ¼ cup almonds
- 2 TB pepitas (shelled, roasted pumpkin seeds)
- 4 TB flax meal
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- 2 packets Truvia or 2 TB honey (optional)
- ¼ cup unsweetened light coconut milk
- 2 eggs
- 2 TB almond butter
- Put dry ingredients (all but the last 3 in the list) in a Cuisinart or blender and pulse just until most of the nuts are chopped into tiny pieces. Nut chunks are perfectly fine - and really tasty in the final product - so don't worry about them.
- Put this mixture in a sauce pan over medium high heat. Stirring constantly, toast the nut mixture. When it smells amazing and has started to release some of the oils, you're done. Be careful not to scorch it!
- Turn off the heat.
- Whisk together the wet ingredients and add to the pan. Stir quickly to keep from making scrambled eggs!
- Cook over medium heat until as thick as you like - stirring constantly. Add salt and additional Truvia to taste if you like.