Dreaming of cheeseburgers but need to avoid the carbs in the bun? Then this amazing, satisfying salad recipe is for you.
Thank you iconomy on metafilter for this fabulous recipe! The ingredients should just say: cheeseburger plus toppings, but in the interest of being complete I’ll flesh it out for you. Lately we’ve been having this once a week and I’m still not sick of it. Give it a try and let me know what you think.
- 1.5 pounds ground beef
- 4 cups chopped lettuce
- 2 cups grated cheese (optional, but then it is Hamburger Salad!)
- toppings of your choice, such as tomatoes, avocado, onions, pickles, bacon...
- hot sauce (optional)
- ketchup, mustard, and mayonnaise for the dressing
- Make the dressing by mixing mayo, ketchup and mustard - add some pickle juice for extra zing.
- Put chopped lettuce on each plate you're going to serve dinner on. Pour some of the dressing over the top, then sprinkle on some of the cheese.
- Cook your ground beef in a frying pan. Add hot sauce if you like. Break up the meat while it cooks, and stop cooking when it is at the level of doneness you like your burgers.
- Scoop meat over the salad and cheese. Add the rest of your toppings and the remaining cheese and dressing.